As you know, my superpower is asking questions that make you stretch, squirm and salivate with challenge and possibility. So here’s a set of questions that came to me for a client group stepping into an exciting new year with their business. I’ve already shared them with some other people and posted them on Facebook and they seem to be getting quite the response.
It’s true that there’s power in asking the questions you don’t want to ask yourself. It’s these questions that make the difference between what master coach, Rich Litvin, calls living a default future (just jogging along without paying attention to the questions calling to you) and an exponential future (when you step into the questions and they trigger some kind of shift or momentum to set you off on a new path that you hadn’t even thought possible).
So here are the questions :
1. What are you grateful for in the life you’ve lived so far?
2. What step would you take in your life right now if you had all the courage you needed (and you do) to take it?
3. What drives or motivates you every day?
4. What do you consider your most significant personal learning from building your business/doing your work so far.
5. If you had your time over again, what might you do differently?
6. What’s missing in your life or work at this time?
7. What remains unanswered or unfulfilled for you?
8. What’s your personal WHY for taking the next step in your business/your work/your life?
9. If you had already fulfilled that personal WHY, what else would you being doing with your life?
And finally, I invite you to also pay attention to whichever of these questions is calling for your attention most strongly at this time. It might be the question that’s really exciting. Or it might be the one that feels really challenging and yucky. I suspect that might be where the real gems are hidden for you.
And in this season of giving and receiving, please know that I too am finding these questions to be quite the stretch and I’m still digging into them for myself.
Latest posts by Aileen Gibb (see all)
- What Story are you living into? - February 19, 2019
- Right Questions – Guest Post on Bob Tiede’s Leading with Questions Blog - August 9, 2018
- The Practice of Deeper Conversations – Masterclass Series starting April 2018 - March 21, 2018